QCM-I Product Details
Quartz Crystal Microbalance with Dissipation
The measuring principle is based on impedance analysis of the quartz crystal. The resonant frequency and the bandwidth of the resonant conductance curve are determined. The bandwidth or full width at half maximum, (FWHM) is a direct correlation with the quality factor (Q) which is by definition the inverse of dissipation (D).
- Both the frequency and the quality of resonance (FWHM or bandwidth or dissipation) are measured
- Different harmonics (up to the 13th overtone at 5MHz crystals) can be quickly and sequentially measured
- Temperature control from 4°C to 80°C (± 0,02 °C) is included
- EC measurement module is optionally available with ITO-QCM sensors
- Modular sensor holder up to 4 measuring channels
- External PC with Windows® 10/11; communication with QCM-I via USB
The software performs full control of the QCM-I Instrument. Two measurement modes are available:
- Resonance: Measurement of resonance curve and calculation of the resonance frequency & FWHM up to 80 MHz
- QCM-t: Continuous measurement of the resonance parameters and the temperature of the flow-cell.
Calculation: Various QCM and ad-layer parameters can be calculated using standard or custom made models. All these parameters can be displayed on the screen, printed, saved or can be exported for further evaluation.
- QCM Unit with two temperature controlled channels
- PC Computer INTEL NUC with Windows® 10 Pro
- QCM Sensor Holder (flow through type) 2 pc
- BioSense 3.xx Software (one user license)
- Sample Injection System with Semi-automatic injection valve
|Measuring Principle||The QCM-I unit is a high sensitivity mass sensor which measures
the change in frequency of a quartz crystal resonator and
as a label free biosensor it measures the “wet mass” of the
adsorbed layer in processes occurring at or near the sensor
surface. The measuring principle is based on impedance analysis
of the quartz crystal. The resonant frequency (fres) and the
bandwidth of the resonant conductance curve are determined.
The bandwidth or full width at half maximum (FWHM) is in direct
correlation with the quality factor (Q) which is by definition
the inverse of the well known dissipation (D).
|Frequency Range||1-80 MHz,up to the 13th overtone for a 5 MHz Crystal|
|Working Temperature||4° C to 80° C, controlled manually or via software,
stability ± 0.02° C
|Sample Loading||Sample injection with external syringe or peristaltic pump unit
controlled manually or by BioSense software, and Rheodyne
Model 9725 manual injector valve, or Rheodyne MX series
semiautomatic switching valve.
Optional external Auto sampler unit is available
|Flow Cell Volume||~ 40 µl (typical with Ø14 mm crystals)|
|Typical Flow Rates||0.01µl/min – 35ml/min with external syringe pump,
Syringe size 1-60 ml
|Sample Volume||1 to 2000 µl (depends on installed loop volume)|
|Wetted parts||PTFE, PEEK, SS, VITON or Kalrez|
|Standard Resonance Frequency sensitivity||~2 x 10-1 Hz|
|Standard Dissipation Sensitivity in Liquid||~ 1 x 10-7|
|Mass Sensitivity in Liquid||≤ 1 ng/cm2|
|Sensor Crystal||5 MHz, AT-cut, modular sensor holder accommodates
either 14 mm or 1” inch diameter crystals
See more details inQCM sensor datasheets.
|BioSense|| Universal software platform for OWLS, QCM & EC measurements
See more details in BioSense datasheet.
|Import/Export of the measured data||Between separate BioSense software and export to third party software
Excel, JPG, BPM, WMF etc.
|PC Requirement||USB 2.0, works with MS Windows® 7 or 8 or 10|
|Supply Voltage||DC power supply with universal input voltage from
100V to 240V AC & 50 to 60 Hz.
The Glove-Box QCM-I takes the high performance QCM-I instrument into a format suitable for mounting in a Glove-box or controlled atmosphere chamber and also includes the option of a wider temperature range e.g. between -30 °C and 80 °C. Download the PDF outlining the features and specifications.
- QSH-014 – QCM sensor holder with flow cell for 14 mm crystals (Part #974-00001)
- O-ring kit for QSH-014 — 1 pc 12x2mm Silicone with Au wires, 3 pcs 12x2mm Viton (Part #974-00016)
- PCB-kit for QSH-014 with M2.5 screws (Part #974-00020)
- Nut and ferrule set (5 sets of P259 flangeless ferrules and P252 nuts 1/4-28 flat bottom) (Part #974-00022)
- Nut and ferrule set (5 sets of M650 flangeless ferrules and M644-03 nuts 6-40 flat bottom) (Part #974-00023)
- Luer (female) connector with 1/4-28 union (Part #974-00024)
- Perifit to connect Teflon tube to Tygon pump tube, PEEK, fits nut MV-SP-007 (Part #974-00025)
- FEP tubing (OD 1/16”, ID 0.03”, 10ft long) (Part #974-00026)
- RF cable-kit (200 mm long) to connect remote QCM sensor holder to main unit (Part #974-00027)
- Cleaning holder to hold six (6) crystals, PEEK (Part #974-00028)
- RF calibration-kit for service purposes (Part #974-00029)
- Calibration-kit for training purposes (Part #974-00030)
- Test electrical cable with 1mm banana socket and 2mm banana socket, Silicone, 500mm long (Part #974-00031)
- Test electrical cable with 1mm banana socket and 4mm banana socket, Silicone, 500mm long (Part #974-00032)
- Test electrical cable with 2mm banana plug and 2mm banana socket, Silicone, 500mm long (Part #974-00033)
- Test electrical cable with 2mm banana plug and 4mm banana socket, Silicone, 500mm long (Part #974-00034)
- QSH-dip – QCM sensor holder for dip-in applications (Part #974-00003)
- QSH-vac – QCM sensor holder for vacuum applications (Part #974-00004)
- QSH-HT-HP – QCM sensor holder for high temperature and high pressure applications (Part #974-00005)
- QSH-ext – extension RF cable assembly for remote QCM sensor holder (Part #974-00006)
- QMH – QCM measuring head with temperature control (Part #974-00007)
- UVO – mini UV Ozone cleaner (Part #974-00008)
- PSC-10 – plasma surface cleaner (Part #974-00009)
- SYR-2 – two-channel syringe pump (Part #974-00010)
- SASV – semi-automatic switching valve with BioSense 3.xx software module (Part #974-00011)
- BioSense – BioSense 3.xx software, second user license (Part #974-00012)
- BioSense upgrade – BioSense 2.xx software upgrade to BioSense 3.xx (Part #974-00013)
- BioSense EC upgrade – BioSense 3.xx software upgrade to BioSense EC 3.xx (Part #974-00014)
- Customer training – customer training via internet (max. 4 hours) to use the QCM and Biosense (Part #974-00015)
Quartz Crystals Available at the Gamry On-Line Store
Combining QCM-I and OWLS Measurements to Understand Polymer Multilayer Deposition Processes using OPTICAL WAVEGUIDE LIGHTMODE SPECTROSCOPY (OWLS) and QUARTZ CRYSTAL MICROBALANCE with IMPEDANCE (QCM-I)